Fighting COVID-19 naturally: Effective tips to boost your immunity
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness that is spreading from person to person and has already affected a large proportion of the population throughout the world. This pandemic is appearing to be deadly for people with a weak immune system or some medical history like heart diseases, diabetes and lung disease.
Health agencies are urging people to stay in self-quarantine and adopt healthy hygiene practice. Eating habits and nutrition plays a crucial role in to strengthening the immunity and battle against the virus. People eating well-balanced diet tend to have healthier immune systems that reduces the risk of chronic illnesses and infectious diseases. Our health experts have brought you some tips to boost your immunity to fight the virus.
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains (e.g. unprocessed maize, millet).
- Prefer raw vegetables and fresh fruit instead of foods that are high in sugar or salt.
- Do not overcook vegetables as it can diminish the effect of vitamins.
- Staying hydrated is necessary. It transports nutrients and compounds in blood, regulates your body temperature.
- Water is the best option, but you can also ensure the adequate intake of other drinks, fruits and vegetables that contain water, for example, lemon juice (diluted in water and unsweetened), tea and coffee. Don’t consume the drinks containing too much caffeine, and avoid sweetened syrups.
- Consume unsaturated fats (e.g. found in fish, avocado, nuts, olive oil, soy, canola, sunflower and corn oils) rather than saturated fats (e.g. found in fatty meat, butter, coconut oil, cream, cheese, ghee and lard).
- Choose white meat (e.g. poultry) and fish, which are generally low in fat.
- When cooking and preparing food, limit the amount of salt and high-sodium condiments (e.g. soy sauce).
Presently, there is no vaccine for COVID-19. Various researches and trials are underway to find a cure. Several private and public authorities are working together to develop a vaccine for this deadly virus. Till then, the above-listed food items can surely boost your immunity against COVID-19.