Battling COVID-19: Is lockdown stress affecting your mental health?
In the wake of COVID-19 outbreak, staying at home for a month or more has become imperative but it is affecting our mental health to a great extent. The coronavirus pandemic is already a very stressful topic especially when there is no vaccine available. It can severely affect the mental health of people despite the age or gender factor. Panic to fight the disease and increased loneliness and isolation can affect your mental health. However, knowing about the mental distress during these uncertain times might be helpful to safeguard you from future disasters.
There are numerous healthcare organizations, professionals, psychiatrists, counsellors who are working to prevent the society from the mental stress of the pandemic. Researches by several hospitals laid emphasis on the importance of Mental Health along with the need to boost it nowadays. Fear and anxiety are severely affecting the mindset of children and adults.
Coping with stress will surely enhance your will power and lead to positivity. Here are some effective tips recommended by healthcare professionals to help people look after their mental health.
Stress in today’s scenario mostly includes:
- Anxiety, overthinking and worry about your own health and the health of your loved ones
- Disturbance in sleep or eating patterns
- Concentration issues
- Worsening of mental health conditions
- Alcohol and drug abuse
Following are a few effective ways to beat the stress
- Find Things to Do/Distractions: Engaging yourself in activities that distract you from current events can be helpful like household cleaning.
- Ensure frequent breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Continuous exposure to pandemic news can be stressful.
- Take good care of your body, eat healthy and avoid binge eating
- Practice breathing exercises, stretching, and meditation
- Exercise regularly, keep yourself hydrated, and get plenty of sleep.
- Try to indulge in activities you enjoy.
- Discuss your concerns with the people you trust
Getting engaged in any kind of activity will surely help you these days. Taking precautions is necessary considering the increasing number of COVID-19 cases with each passing day.
Stay Home! Stay Safe!