Top 5 Home Remedies For Tooth Cavities and Decay.
Tooth cavities and decay are one of the most common oral health problems today. Cavities and tooth decay are mostly seen in teenagers, children and older adults. However, cavities can affect anyone.
Cavities are basically holes in teeth caused by tooth decay. Decay is caused by bacterial infection that causes destruction of teeth’s hard tissues. Symptoms of cavities include sensitivity, toothache, and stains on tooth’s surface.
The most important and effective way of preventing tooth decay is brushing your teeth twice a day. We have listed below 5 home remedies for cavities and tooth decay.
Salt can be used to treat tooth decay due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
- Mix one teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water. Swish this solution for a minute around in your mouth, concentrating the solution on affected tooth. Repeat thrice a day.
Clove is extremely helpful in treating any type of dental problem, including cavities. Clove has analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Chew a whole clove gently and slowly in order to extract its oil, then keep the clove in your mouth for 4-6 minutes.
3. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling has been in use for a very long time. It can not only treat cavities and bad breath, oil pulling also stops gum bleeding. Steps are mentioned below.
- Take 1 tablespoon of coconut/sunflower/sesame (any one) oil in your mouth.
- Now swish it around in your mouth for 20 minutes.
- Spit the oil out. Do not swallow or gargle.
- Use warm water (add salt for better results) to rinse your mouth.
- Now brush your teeth. Do this daily on an empty stomach.
4. Indian Lilac (Neem)
Neem or Indian lilac is another remedy for cavities. Its strong antibacterial properties can destroy decay-causing bacteria easily.
- Rub the juice of Indian lilac leaves on gums and teeth. Leave it on for about 3 minutes and then rinse with water.
Garlic is often recommended in case of tooth decay and cavities due to its antibacterial properties. Garlic can also relieve toothache.
- Grind 3-4 garlic cloves to make fine paste, mix ¼ teaspoon of rock salt in it. Now apply this paste on infected tooth and leave it on for 10-12 minutes. Rinse with warm water or mouthwash.