What is Anxiety: Symptoms and Treatment
Anxiety is a normal emotion. One may feel nervous when facing a problem at work, before appearing for an exam, or while making some important decision. However, Anxiety disorders are a group of mental illnesses and totally different. The distress caused in such disorder can keep you from carrying on with life normally. It can be of four types: PANIC DISORDER: A terror that strikes at random, making you sweat, feel palpitations and have chest pain. SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER: Also called social phobia, this makes you feel overwhelming worry and self-consciousness about everyday social situations. SPECIFIC PHOBIAS: Intense fear of a specific object or situation, which may go beyond appropriate and avoidable level. GENERALIZED ANXIETY DISORDER: Extreme, unrealistic worry and tension for no reason, or for things that are negligible.
ANXIETY SYMPTOMS:All kinds of anxiety disorders involve some similar symptoms. These include:
- Fear, panic and restlessness
- Sleeping problems
- Unable to stay calm and still
- Cold and numb, sometimes sweaty and tingling hands or feet
- Dyspnea or shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
- Dry mouth
- Tense muscles
ANXIETY TREATMENT:Similar to all psychological disorders, anxiety is also treated via medication and therapy. This include:
- MEDICATION: Anxiety disorders can be treated with drugs like antidepressants including escitalopram (Lexapro) and fluoxetine (Prozac). Drugs like anxiolytics can also help lower anxiety like alprazolam (Xanax) and clonazepam (Klonopin). Low-dose anti psychotic drugs and certain anti convulsant medicines can also help in treatments to work better.
- PSYCHOTHERAPY: It is a counselling that addresses the emotional response to mental illness. Under this, a mental health specialist helps you understand and deal with your anxiety disorder by talking. A type of psychotherapy Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, helps you identify and alter the thoughts and behaviors that trigger deep anxiety.