What are advantages of “Spine Fracture Fixation through MIS technique”
Traumatic spinal injuries are often associated with high velocity or high energy impact. Dr Ashwani Maichand, a renowned orthopedic surgeon says that road accidents account for 35 per cent of spinal injuries, while as falls cause more than one-quarter of spinal injuries each year. Spinal trauma or spinal fracture caused by accidents and falls, lead to instability of spine and compression of spinal cord and nerves requiring decompression of nerves and stabilization of spine. Early surgical intervention is important as it may prevent or reverse neurological deterioration. Open Surgery: The treatment of spine trauma is predominantly open surgery with instrumentation and fusion as most of the patients suffering from spine fracture are already suffering from multiple injuries. Dr Maichand says that complications are often added by doing open surgery and hence delay the recovery. Disadvantages of Open Surgery:
- Open Surgery causes extensive tissue damage.
- It also causes blood loss.
- The rate of infection increases from 0.7% to 10%.
- Recovery is delayed in most cases.
- It also causes nerve injury.
- Minimal soft tissue injury.
- MIS technique leads to minimal blood loss.
- Little post-operative discomfort.
- Day care procedure
- Minimal Scarring
- Next day mobilization